Useful links


Are you or someone you know in crisis? Here’s a list of organisations that might be able to help:

Bristol Crisis Service: 0300 555 0334
The Bristol crisis service is there for you 24/7 whenever you need to talk to a mental health expert.

SANE: 0845 767 8000
The helpline is open from 6.00pm until 11.00pm every day. Or visit

Samaritans: 08457 90 90 90
Samaritans provide confidential emotional support to anyone experiencing feelings of distress or despair. They can be contacted 24 hours a day or email

MIND: 0808 80 80 330 or 0300 123 3393
The MindinfoLine offers confidential help on a range of mental health issues. Call 0300 123 3393 or text 86463.

No Panic: 0844 967 4848
Helpline for people suffering from panic attacks and anxiety disorders. Open 10.00am until 10.00pm daily.

GP or Local Crisis Team
If you are already in touch with mental health services you can contact your GP or Crisis Team. If you are feeling suicidal and would like to see a professional urgently, your local hospital accident and emergency department might be worth visiting. There will be a duty psychiatrist available to assess people’s needs and assist in finding the necessary support.

Do you know someone who is at risk of homelessness, or someone who is rough sleeping? See our advice page for further details of things you can do:

Homelessness: what you can do


Social Services (College Green): 0117 9224 748

Bristol Royal Infirmary: 0117 923 0000

North Somerset

The North Somerset Crisis Team: 01934 836 467
(Patients must have been previously referred to this service)

North Somerset Council Out of Hours: 01934 622 669

North Somerset Emergency Social Services: 01454 615 165


B&NES Emergency Mental Health Team: 01454 615 165

Help for someone other than yourself

In an emergency, if you are concerned about the wellbeing of a relative or friend and feel they may be mentally unwell and are putting themselves or somebody else at risk, you could try contacting their local social services emergency duty team, the home-intervention and crisis team or the police (the numbers are given above). If appropriate, a social worker on duty will arrange for a mental health assessment. Relevant contact numbers should be available in a local telephone directory, or the local Primary Care Trust website.

You could also phone their GP. There will be an out of hours emergency number on their answer machine.

Top of page